Univers, Transport, Interfaces, Nanostructures,
GREAT ITN School : Galaxy modelling
Institut Utinam and Besancon Observatory are hosting a school on galaxy Modelling supported by the European network (ITN) GREAT (Gaia Research for European Astronomy Training). The aim of this school is to prepare students among the GREAT ITN to the modelling necessary for the analysis of the Gaia catalogue.
The school takes place from 15th to 20th october, 2012 on the site of the Besancon Observatory.
- The students are requested to bring their own laptop with installed softwares :
- graphics capabilities
- Free memory space (> 50 Gb if possible)
- Eduroam wifi access that they get from their own university prior to the school
- Groups for the exercizes
- Exercizes presentations
- Recommended bibliography :
- Gaia Performance Website http://www.rssd.esa.int/index.php?page=Science_Performance&project=GAIA
- Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing. W.H. Press, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling & B.P. Flannery Cambridge Univ. Press Chapter 7: Random Numbers.
- Robin et al. 1992. Gaia Universe Model Snapshot http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/abs/2012A%26A...543A.100R
- Grand, Kawata, Cropper 2012. Dynamics of stars around spiral arms in an N-body/SPH simulated barred spiral galaxy. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012M...
- Sharma et al., 2011. Galaxia: A Code to Generate a Synthetic Survey of the Milky Way. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2011A...
Scientific Organizing committee :
Annie Robin, Francesca Figueiras, Luis Aguilar, Daisuke Kawata, Wil O’Mullane
Monday 9h : Welcome 9h15 -10h45 : Presentation of the population synthesis scheme (A.C. Robin) 10h45-11h15 : Coffee break 11h15-12h45 : Principles of Monte Carlo simulations (L. Aguilar) Lunch 14h-15h30 : Gaia simulators, GUMS and GOG (F. Figueiras) 15h30-16h : Tea break 16h-17h30 : Hands on simulation : exercises 1 (F. Figueiras, M. Romero-Gomez) Running GOG in the VM (E. Antiche) Tuesday 9h00 -10h30 : Population synthesis II : examples and (...)
The school will take place at Besancon Observatory. Take a look at the web site : Access to Besancon Observatory : see here List of hotels : the participants are requested to book themself their hotel among the list where a pre-booking has been made. The students should consider to bring their own laptop for the exercises. A list of papers to read before the school will be given. Directions for the school dinner on wednesday : Restaurant La Grange 17 avenue Elisée-Cusenier From (...)
Hotels prebooked for the Galaxy modelling school
Hotels down town (15-20 min by bus) : Hotel du Nord - 8, Rue Moncey (+33 (0)3 81 81 34 56) single : 63€ + 8€ breakfast Hotel Regina - 91, grande rue (+33 (0) 3 81 81 50 22) 62 € or 55 € + 7€ breakfast Hotel Florel - 6 rue de la Viotte (+33 (0)3 81 80 41 08) 99€ + 9 € breakfast (3 star) Hotel Ibis - 21 rue Gambetta (+33 (0)3 81 81 02 02) 70€ or 89€ + 9€ breakfast Hotel near the Observatory (10mn walk) Hotel All Suites -17 (...)